Sunday, October 08, 2006

Special Best Friend Price

According to some report I saw somewhere, Beijing is one of the most expensive cities in the world. How can the majority of 10.9 million Chinese people afford to live here making only a hundred dollars a month? There is a huge price gap between what I have been calling “Western Prices” and “Chinese Prices.” Some people can spend $1000 US here in one week, but I’ve gone the whole day and only spent 20 RMB ($2.25 US) on food. Here is a random list of things I have bought since I have been here. Some have been rip-offs, and some have been great buys! Some good quality and some bad. I have not made any frivolous purchases though – see for yourself!

(8 RMB = 1 US$ || 1 RMB = .125 US)

Pack of Beijing post cards: 30 RMB
Chinese Children’s book (Chinese and English): 6 RMB
Legitimate Massage: 120 RMB

Fajita Dinner at Hard Rock Cafe: 140 RMB
Pizza at Frank’s: 80 RMB
Sushi Plate for Two: 40 RMB
½ Roast Duck: 38 RMB
Noodle Soup: 6 RMB
Sweet and Sour Pork at “The Crawfish Hole”: 8 RMB
Dinner from Road Carts: 2 - 4 RMB

Grape Nuts Cerial at Jenny Lou’s: 45 RMB
Milk: 15 MB
Cerial Bowl: 8 RMB
Fork, Knife, Spoon set: 10 RMB
Fancy Chopsticks Set: 80 RMB

Heiniken Beer at Frank’s sports bar: 40 RMB
Chinese Beer at Frank’s sports bar: 20 RMB
Chinese Beer at “The Crawfish Hole”: 3 RMB
Chinese Beer from the Chinese Quickie Mart: 1.5 RMB
Liquor Shots at Nanjie: 10 RMB
Great Wall Oil Painting: 500 RMB (Starting Price: 1200 RMB)
Mongolain Horse Landscape Painting: 130 RMB
Painted Glass Jar: 40 RMB

Tailor Made Suit: 1000 RMB (Starting Price: 1500)
Tailor Made Shirt: 150 RMB
Army Surplus Coat: 600 RMB (Starting Price: 1200 RMB)
Thick Winter Jacket: 200 RMB
Fake Designer Dress Shirt: 45 RMB (Starting Price: 500 RMB)
Ten Pair Dress Socks: 15 RMB (Starting Price: 1000 RMB)
COSS Watch: 80 RMB
Fake Rolex Watch: 250 RMB (Usual Starting Price: 1000 RMB)
Fake Jade Necklace: 50 RMB
DVD 9 Movie (From Different Vendors): 10 RMB, 20 RMB, 30 RMB

Through Ticket for Summer Palace: 80 RMB
Through Ticket for Temple of Heaven: 40 RMB
Cab Rides: 10 – 50 RMB
Gamma Bicycle: 350 RMB
Giant Bicycle: 780 RMB
Tire Repair / Tune Up: 10 RMB

Waking Up in Beijing Every Morning: priceless

There are a few things money can’t buy.

3 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem to be doing ok on your pruchases. Reminds me of the first time we went to Germany. There was so much new "kitsch" and I thought I had to have one of everything. I got more selective as time went by. And I think you are learning that also. In the meantime you are having fun and it's not costing you an arm and a leg.
Loove
Gramma

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like are learning the fine art of haggling and getting lots of practice at it, too. Dinner at the Hard Rock looks overpriced comparitively. But I think I'd stay away from the roadside carts! Maybe I should ship you some cereal; that looks overpriced. Have you tried any Chinese cereal or is there any such thing?
Love,
Mom

 
At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol I remember when I went to Carrefour's with students and told them I wanted cereal, and I eventually walked every aisle before I found the small display of four types of cereal that they had, and I had to explain "cereal" to my Chinese students. - DMC <><

 

Post a Comment

<< Home