Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Another Week Away


After Israel, my parents had to return home to work, but my sister and I hopped across the Mediterranean for one more week of vacation in Greece. We were very lucky with the weather; afternoon temperatures climbed into the 70's and the lows never fell below freezing while we were there. Athens and the surrounding landscape is gorgeous. I cannot remember the last time i saw greener hills, a crystal calm sea, and such deep blue skies.

The Greeks are very proud of their country and its ancient history. The locals we ran across in restaurants and shops were also very friendly: they love to talk, they love their food, and they love to talk about food. Greek advice, on just about anything and everything, is freely given. Emily and I were advised about the pros and cons of various local cuisines, museums, date spots, politics (American and Greek) and when/where one can find an organized student protest against the government.

Emily and I visited a lot of old temples and saw the best museum in the world (so now I don't have to see any more of them!) During our last three days, we took a bus tour through the oldest, and some of the most beautiful, regions of Greece: Corinth, Mycenae, Arcadia, Olympia, and Delphi.

Delphi was my favorite, because the contemporary village is quiet, nestled among imposing olive-tree-covered mountains, and still within sight of the Ionian Sea. Em and I did not have time for an island cruise, which is what everyone who is anyone should do while in Greece - and we missed out! I guess there is always... next time?

Temple of Zeus with Acropolis in the background.
The Oracle at Delphi


Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon
"Aww," at Sounion

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks really beautiful...We should have gone there, too! Love,
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home