Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Random: People and Pollution

7.7.2006

My only real complaint about this city is the weather/pollution. This picture was taken at 2:00 in the afternoon. (Where's the sun?)

Smoggy with a 10% chance of sunlight
.
People are crazy. Working in Beijing seems to bring out the extremes in people. Because we work so closely, gossip runs rampant. You would not believe some of the stories I have heard of immorality and just plain stupidity. My sources are not the most sound - I have to carefully weigh the veracity of everything I hear. "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas," the slogan for a travel commercial, could easily be used to describe the philosophy of many. EVERYTHING is easy and cheap here. There are even male prostitutes who try to solicit at our hotel.

There are also some really amazing guys here – some my age and many older. I don't know if I told you that there is a prayer meeting every morning before work, but we fill up that conference room every morning! These men are very encouraging. I was praying for one of these older gentlemen who has been a great influence on me and many others as he negotiated renewing his contract. After a long struggle today, he was offered what he hoped for and he's staying!

I haven't gotten to read as much as I would like these past two weeks, but at least I won't run out of books so quickly. Haven't worked out as much either, but work is keeping me in decent shape. Chinese is coming slowly as well, but I know there is a light at the end of the dark tunnel of grammar, vocabulary, and tones. But I did get to watch two episodes of Lost and down half a bottle of Merlot with a friend last night! I am investing a lot of time in building relationships right now – going out to hang out with the Texas A&M study abroad crew later while they are still in Beijing!

From an internet café somewhere in China,

Nathan

P.S. If you don't already know, you can enlarge photos by clicking on them.

(Written on 7.7.2006 - The computer mysteriously ate the Blogger toolbar, which led to technical difficulties and posting delays.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home