Friday, July 21, 2006

Rod Buster

I got a new job on Monday.

I was transferred (involuntarily, but not unwillingly) from the Warehouse crew (thought to be the easiest job on site) to a rebar crew (percieved by many to be the most difficult job on site.) The warehouse did not really have much work to do and rebar has too much - that is why they are shuffling people around.

I'm not complaining. I've really enjoyed learning about a new trade and aquiring new skills. For those of you who don't have any what I am talking about and thought until now that a rebar is something you might find on Northgate, rebar is the steel rods which concrete is poured around to make reenforced concrete. My job is to move and tie these ribbed steel bars into complex shapes using just a pair of pliers and a reel of metal wire. Sometimes I am on the ground; today I was suspended in the air for 8 hours straight. I only dropped my pliers once! I've had hand cramps since Monday, but they are getting better.

The new crew is really neat, and I enjoy staying busy. Tying rebar passes the time very quickly. These past four days have flown by!

I took this picture after work on Thursday. Look Mom, I’ve got a real hard-hat, boots, and everything! My skin’s dark tint is a healthy combination of sun exposure and rust; mostly rust.

Still having a great time in Beijing! I'm writing this from a sports bar near the hotel.

God Bless Y'all!
Nathan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home