Friday, May 04, 2007

Chinese Cooking Class

So the three of us are in a Chinese wonderland and the weather will not cooperate. I love rain; it has a very soothing effect on me – especially in the morning when rain drops are falling against the window and among the leaved in the trees. However, we were all really hoping to some hard-core biking and hiking on day two, so what do three travelers do on a rainy day in Yangshuo? Well, Adrianna and Rahman slept in until ten-o-clock and I spent all morning learning to cook Chinese food from the chef across the street.

Cooking class was loads of fun! First, we took a trip to the local outdoor market to stock up on ingredients. Chinese markets are not for the faint of heart! In addition to fruits, veggies, and spices, they merchants sell live animals and fish, which they slaughter for their buyers on the spot. I saw a dog die, I didn’t take pictures because it turned my stomach and somehow, snapping photos of the dying animal seemed immoral at the time.

Rats on a String!

All in all – the market was fascinating. I hope I don’t gross you out too much!

Back at the hotel, I and a few other eager tourists learned to make fried dumplings, a Chinese salad, a pork stir-fry dish, and a duck dish. The food was excellent, and the company was good as well.

If we are lucky – I might have a chance to cook Chinese food for you sometime!

1 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, so now you know what kind of meat you've been eating for the last year :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home