Thursday, February 22, 2007

Seeing Red


Let me clarify: Saturday was Chinese New Year’s Eve and Sunday was New year’s Day. Unfortunately, my employer has no respect for the local cultural holidays – we worked Saturday and Sunday. But I’ve never been one to let work get in the way of life. : )

As I said in the last entry, I stayed out all night Saturday watching fireworks and just went into work Sunday morning without sleep. I was suprisingly functional all day: after a productive morning’s work, I went to church, then to lunch, then to a New Year’s festival at Ditan Park (the temple of the moon) then back to a friend’s apartment to watch Madagascar. Since waking un on Saturday morning at 5:40 AM, I didn’t crash until 10:30 Sunday night.

Loosing a little sleep was definately worth it though. These two days were some of the most fun I have has since I arrived here. Of course fireworks were awesome, but the festival at Ditan was also lots of fun – even more than I had expected. This festival was nothing extraordinary – not much different from a county fair back home, but it was a great excuse for a group of twenty-something adults to all act a little silly together (see pictures below.)

Dressing the Part


Didn't quite taste as good as it looked...

Carnival Games!

My Prize: Little Bubu!

2 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i find it hilarious that y'all are in Beijing and get work off the day of the Superbowl, but not for Chinese New Year. wow, lol.
:)

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics.

-James

 

Post a Comment

<< Home