Sunday, April 01, 2007

Sunday, March 25th: Forbidden Friends



Today was the most beautiful weather of the year so far! I took full advantage by biking all the way to the Forbidden City to meet up with Sam, my new friend I had just met on Friday. I needed a Chinese guide in the Forbidden city, or I would not have appreciated it nearly as much. Once I've seen one old Chinese building, I feel like I've seen them all, but the history of the place is quite interesting. So Sam and I wandered around talking Chinese history, politics, and more reigion.

Sam's perspective is unique because he grew up in China, but worked in America for more than a decade. He has a local's insider's view of Chinese history, culture, and politics, but he has also picked up a little Western perspective and is willing to think critically about his country. Most other Chinese I've talked to are still very slow to critisize anything Chinese, wether politics, cultural nuances, or even the food. : ) Chinese are very nationalistic that way, and especially if they have never left China, seem to think in the backs of their minds that everything they have (including the political system) is, or soon will be, the best - or at least better than in the USA...

So Sunday was an awesome time, and going out with Sam's friends for Xian soup dinner was a terriffic end to the day. Enjoy the pics!

Mass Transit in Beijing


"Hey! Look at the American with a camera on his bicycle!"


Pi zi hota


Old School


Golden Years


Mao is watching You...


So is this (very bored) Chinese guard


This is one big chunk of jade


Lots of gold and pearls on these daggars


Two guys hand-washing thousands of roof tiles one by one...


Kites in Tienanmen Square

1 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Whether," not "wether." I wouldn't comment on it except I looked up "wether" one time and it means "castrated sheep." I just cringe every time I read that. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home